PMBOK7 is expected to be open at August, 1st, but on July, 1st it became available to PMI members.
Now let’s give an overview of PMBOK7, which includes project management standard and guide.
As many other current methodologies, standards, and frameworks PMBOK moves to concept of principles and domains. That does not mean rejection of traditional tools and processes, but those – as well-known – are described at a Digital platform now. Tools, processes, techniques, and methods are implemented in certain company and project conditions within management domains and according to guiding principles. This approach provides more flexibility to organize projects in the most appropriate way.
PMBOK7 following the concept, founded in PMBOK6 offers 4 project management models: predictive, incremental, iterative and adaptive, and recommends development any types of hybrids. Cynefin and Stacey models are aplicable to define the project model.
- brief standard
- appendices, among those sponsor role, PMO role, product management vs project management.
Project management standard defines Value management system and 12 guiding principles.
Value delivery system includes 8 functions:
- Provide Oversight and Coordination
- Present Objectives and Feedback
- Facilitate and Support
- Perform work and contribute insights
- Apply Expertise
- Provide Business Direction and Insight
- Provide resources and Direction
- Maintain Governance
Internal and External environment are also parts of th value delivery system.
12 Project management principles are:
- Be a diligent, respectful, and caring steward
- Create a collaborative project team environment
- Effectively engage with stakeholders
- Focus on Value
- Recognize, Evaluate, and respond to system interactions
- Demonstrate Leadership behaviors
- Tailor based on context
- Build quality into processes and deliverables
- Navigate complexity
- Optimize risk responses
- Embrace adaptability and resiliency
- Enable change to achieve the envisioned future state.
The Guide includes and describes 8 performance domains:
- Development approach and lifecycle
- Project work
The special chapter Tailoring deals with interconnections between Domains, processes, methods, and artifacts.