On May, 2019, the PMI has informed about changes in the PMP certification. First information says the changes take effect on December, 15th. But on the last week of August the effective date was changed to July, 1st, 2020. The current exam version is available till June, 30th, 2020.
The PMI has presented changes details in the PMP Examination Content outline — ECO. And the certification content changes greatly. Current version as like as many previous versions are developed around the project management phases, i.e. initiation – planning – execution – monitoring and control – closure and knowledge areas. The new version is built around the three PM competency areas.
42% of exam questions (14 tasks) are in leadership segment; 50% (17 tasks) are in project management processes segment and 8 % (4 tasks) are in business strategy.
«Establish project governance structure
— Determine appropriate governance for a project (e.g., replicate organizational
- Define escalation paths and thresholds»
The «2019 PMP Exam Content Crossover Map» document matches exam themes across current and future version. For example:
- Assess behavior through the emotional needs of key project stakeholders
- the use of personality indicators
- Assess opportunities to deliver value incrementally
- as necessary to find the Minimum Viable Product
- Recommend a project methodology/approach (i.e, predictive, agile, hybrid)
- Use iterative, incremental practices throughout the project lifecycle (e.g., lessons learned, stakeholder engagement, risk)
- Classify compliance categories
- Coordinate with other projects and other operations
- Assess organizational culture